PAGES

Making Time For Myself

Tuesday, December 17, 2013
I've been trying to make more time for myself lately. Having a baby makes it hard to set aside some time to do some things for yourself, but I think that doing very thing is important for your sanity! I often feel guilty if I put Vivian down for a nap and instead of cleaning I catch up on one of my shows or paint my nails. 


  I'm one of those people who feel the need to have so many balls in the air at once (I almost need the feeling of being overwhelmed!). I put so much pressure on myself to be the perfect mother and wife that I sort of loose myself. Before getting married and having Vivian, I was me. I liked going to movies late on a weekday by myself, reading books for hours at a time, and really listening to music. While I might not have time, opportunity, or even the desire to do many of the things I once enjoyed doing "pre-family" life.. I can still do things that are done solely for the purpose of nurturing MY soul. 
  As mothers we feel the need (biological and self assigned) to sacrifice many things to make sure our families are healthy and happy. While many of us are more than happy and willing to give up many things for our children, we also forget that we are people with needs too. 
  And that's were I found myself a week ago. I was starting to go stir crazy in the house and my sweet baby had become a teething monster! I decided that it didn't mean I was a bad mother if I felt like I was going to loose my mind if I did not get away from this screaming, grumpy baby.. if only for an hour! It meant that I am still very much Bria- not just a walking (barely), talking (babbling), milk making service. 
  A friend once told me that it was important not to loose yourself when getting married and after having a child I think that that's even more important. If you're not taking care of yourself and allowing yourself to grow as an individual you're not being the best possible version of yourself for your husband or child. 



  So with that realization I have been consciously taking steps to be better to myself. I've been making time to do things that make me feel taken care of- I've been going to CrossfitI taught myself how to knit, and I've been taking that shower I crave but often put off in place of laundry. I've gone out for a glass of wine and food with a girl friend, and I painted my nails. I've found that I can do all of these things while still being a good mother for Vivian. I think I'm an even better mother because I don't feel so run down and neglected. 


  Kevin and I have even gone out sans baby! It was only the second time we've gone out just us two since Viv was born. Things went so well with my sister-in-law watching Vivian that I can see many more dates in our future. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design