PAGES

Thoughts on Character.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

When I think about raising Vivian I get overwhelmed. I want to protect her from the imperfect things about life. I have dreams for her, I want her to be a smart, happy, and genuine person. While I make these grand plans for my 1 and a half year old.. I know that children will be who they want to be in the end. As a parent (feel free to roll your eyes at me at any time seasoned parents! or my own parents… haha) I know that I can only teach her right from wrong and hope that she makes the right choices. 

 I want her to think for herself. Have respect for herself and other people. I want her to have a story, and to share that story with the world in her own unique way. I hope she has a free spirit and stays up late thinking and dreaming about the world. I want her to be more concerned with her character than her appearance. 

In a world that is already so driven by appearances thanks to social media, I worry that Vivian will struggle with her identity. Will she know who she is without needing validation? Will she think that having a life that looks good is more important than one that feels good?

I am careful with the words I use when I talk to her, knowing that one day I won't be able to control what she hears. I am careful with the way I view and talk about myself knowing that one day how I talk to her about myself will become her inner voice.

I know growing up a girl is hard and it will mostly likely only be harder when Vivian gets to that point. But I know that I will do everything I possibly can to raise a daughter who is strong and unwavering in her self confidence and brimming with compassion. I'll help to build her character so that when the time comes for her to make the hard decisions.. she'll already know who she is and the kind of person she wants to be. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design